A BUS driver who left a grandmother with half a skull after mounting the pavement and ploughing into her has escaped with a £175 fine.

Bus driver who left grandmother with HALF SKULL fined £175

Deborah Davies left with half a skull

Now Deborah Davies’ distraught family have slammed the sentence, saying: “It’s no punishment at all.” 

Driver Surjeet Singh Pal crashed into 56-year-old Mrs Davies while she was out house hunting. 

She needed emergency surgery for a bleed on the brain and surgeons were forced to replace half her skull with a metal plate. 

Retired Mrs Davies also suffered a broken neck, fractured cheek, broken ribs and punctured lung, and had to be put into an induced coma. 

Pal, 57, admitted careless driving when he appeared before Birmingham magistrates on Thursday.

Although motorists can be charged with causing death by dangerous driving, there is no offence which takes account of the injuries inflicted on a survivor. 

Deborah Davies left with half a skull

Every day continues to be a struggle

Rebecca Hearsey

The length of a ban is discretionary. 

Consequently Pal, of Wolverhampton, was fined and banned from the road for six months. 

He can reapply for his licence afterwards. Mrs Davies’ husband Steve, 58, said: “It’s appalling. It’s no punishment at all. He has ruined our lives and he gets to walk free. Deborah went from being a vibrant and vivacious young grandmother to being solely dependent on me and our family.” 

Deborah Davies left with half a skull

Retired Mr Davies witnessed the accident in Stourbridge, West Midlands, as they walked to an estate agent with one of their five grandchildren.

The couple were planning to complete the purchase of a new home near their daughter and her children. 

An ambulance crew gave Mrs Davies first aid – without which she would have died. 

Deborah Davies left with half a skull

Her husband added: “She is now merely existing. She has such a poor quality of life compared to the one she planned for and we built together. 

“She is living a life sentence while the driver who did this can put everything behind him and continue his life.

“I am disgusted and dismayed there is no provision in law to adequately reflect the catastrophic, irrevocable damage this incident has done, both to Deborah physically as well as our lives as a family.” 

Although the couple moved into their new home, they may have to find another house with special adaptations for Mrs Davies’ disabilities. 

Rebecca Hearsey, the family’s solicitor, said: “Every day continues to be a struggle. Deborah was allowed to return home – but only if she wore a padded helmet to protect her fragile skull. 

“Her life now will be constantly punctuated by hospital appointments, therapy, carers and rehabilitation.”



Disqus Conversations